Are you an overland enthusiast? Do you enjoy spending days off the grid with your mates? If so, a camping fridge freezer should be sitting at the back of your car. But for serious campers, an extraordinary unit like Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW will suit you best.
This dual-zone model of Dometic’s popular CFX range packs an efficient cooling performance that you can easily control via Wi-Fi connection. Its heavy-duty construction also means it’s up for any adventure, even in extreme conditions. And with its several other convenient features, days at camp have never been this luxurious. It’s no wonder this impressive unit is also Waeco’s most awarded product.
Dometic Waeco fridges have a considerable Aussie following due to their reliable performance and after-sales service. The brand’s CFX range, the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW in particular, has been making noise for its highly impressive construction and design. Although more expensive than similar units or any other Waeco fridges, the CFX 75DZW packs a combo of features you probably won’t find anywhere else.
For instance, aside from having two independent compartments for chilling and freezing, you can remotely adjust their settings through your smartphone. Equipped with a powerful Waeco compressor, this portable fridge can keep everything chilled and frozen even at high ambient temperatures. Outside, it is easy to see that its enhanced corners and robust body mean business.
Best Features of the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW Portable Fridge Freezer
If you love going on weekend trips with your family or a small group of four people, the Glacio 45L Portable Fridge Freezer is an ideal addition to your camping checklist. The unit comes with 12/24V DC and 100-240V AC cables, so it’s easy to connect with your preferred power source. The best thing is, you get to enjoy this quality fridge freezer and the rest of its features without blowing your budget.
A camping fridge freezer as big as the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW is just what you need for your days out in the wild. With its 75L capacity (45L and 30L separate compartments), you have more than enough space for food and drinks. The DC and AC cables provided should make it easy to power up this fridge unit. Once you turn it on, this machine will put its other excellent features on display.
Flexible temperature controls
The dual-zone ability of the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW is undoubtedly one of its major highlights. With two compartments and matching independent control panels, you can use the unit in three ways: a full fridge, full freezer or both at the same time. This feature allows users to have a portable fridge that works just like their regular refrigerator at home. It also gives you more options when choosing what food and drink to bring to your outdoor trip.
With such a powerful unit, the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW is well-suited in remote campsites. Dometic ensures that its construction can stand up against the elements. Here are the specific features that make this unit shine even in harsh conditions:
- Reinforced corners. It’s likely for this unit to go through several bumps and thumps while you’re driving along rough roads. But thanks to screwed caps protecting all its eight corners, this portable fridge stays stable no matter how rugged your trips get. Aside from enhancing its resistance to wear and tear, this feature also keeps your fridge in mint condition for a long time.
- Tough handles. At 31kg, the unit alone is a feat to carry. The manufacturer ensures the handles won’t snap that easily with the combined strength of glass-filled nylon ends, powder-coated steel rods and stainless-steel screws.
- Sturdy walls. Inside, the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW has polyurethane foam for its walls. It is ideal for cooling appliances as it’s lightweight yet robust.
Another thing to look forward to in owning a Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW is its genuine Waeco compressor. This compressor works well in Australian conditions. Here are two attributes that make this compressor exceptional:
- Top-notch cooling power. The unit cools down by transforming its liquid refrigerant into gas in the evaporator. This process removes heat from the fridge unit, allowing its internal temperature to drop. The Waeco compressor then draws the gaseous refrigerant and directs it to the condenser. In turn, the fridge becomes capable of deep-freezing up to -22C even at high ambient temperatures.
- Energy efficiency. The Waeco compressor can optimise the energy it consumes, depending on the ambient temperature. For example, if you’re camping in a cold region, the compressor adapts and applies variable technology to reduce its power requirements. The compressor can deactivate once it reaches the desired temperature, letting the insulated walls keep the inside cold, and to come back on automatically when the temperature rises.
The construction and insulation of the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW support its other minor features to add convenience:
- Multiple power sources. This feature makes this portable fridge freezer easy to operate through your car DC port and standard AC outlets. The unit is also suitable for solar power operation.
- Memory function. The Set button on the control panel has a handy memory function, so you can save your original settings when you turn your unit back on.
- Battery protection. Its three-level battery protection prevents excessive discharging if you’re operating it with an onboard DC battery. This safety feature protects you from travelling with a drained battery.
- Wi-Fi and app connectivity. A CFX app can be downloaded to your iPhone or Android device so you can remotely check your fridge up to 50m, monitor its battery voltage, adjust the temperature and set the fridge alarm. It comes in handy when you need full control of your fridge unit during long drives.
- USB port. In case your phone goes on low battery, the unit’s USB port is perfect for recharging small electronic devices.
- Spring-loaded handles. Aside from the robust construction of its handles, they are also retractable and removable, making the unit easy to fit in tight spaces.
- Wire baskets. Inside the camping fridge are three powder-coated steel baskets that you can remove to make more space for larger food items. The baskets prevent frozen food from sticking to the walls of the unit and keep your supplies organised.
- Detachable lid. The compartments of the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW has two separate lids, both of which can be detached. This feature allows you to position the covers in the opposite direction if you want to. It also lets you fill the fridge more quickly, remove multiple food items at a time and clean-up the lids with ease.
- Interior LED lights. Both compartments of the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW have LED lightbulbs that automatically light up when lifting either lid. These make it easier to reach for a quick bite even in the dark!
- Lid open alarm. If you accidentally left the lid open for 3 minutes with the unit switched on, the interior LED lights will continuously flash to alert you and close it properly.
One thing I like about Dometic is how the manufacturer makes it easy for us to upgrade our fridges with useful accessories. Your Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW will be more exceptional with these excellent add-ons:
- Dometic CFX-IC75. This cover adds insulation to your unit and protects it from scratches. It comes with side pockets for storing small tools and various access points for controls, handles, cables and vents.
- Dometic CFX-SLD75. This fridge slide makes your unit easy to slide out and access. It can take up to 100kg of load and has tie-down straps to keep your fridge secure.
- Dometic CoolFreeze Fridge Stand. This sturdy aluminium frame can support up to 80kg of weight and allows you to access your fridge without bending down. This stand also keeps your unit away from dirt, water or sand. It comes with two adjustable height positions and makes it easier for you to drain your CoolFreeze (CF) or CFX fridge.
- Dometic CFX Fixing Kit. If you often drive on bumpy roads, then this accessory is a must-have. It has all the tools you need to prevent your fridge from sliding or moving around while you’re driving.
Things to Note
Everything about the Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW is exceptional. But it’s not free from downsides. Make sure to consider these points when choosing this camping fridge freezer.
With a feature-packed unit, it’s a given that this portable fridge comes with a hefty price tag. The Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW is about double the price when compared with similar units and Waeco CF models. Also, considering its size, the CFX 75DZW has a power consumption at high ambient temperature that can drain batteries. So, you may need to spend more for a deep-cycle battery.
Heavy and bulky
While it’s a durable unit with generous capacity, the CFX 75DZW is a heavy unit and can take a lot of space in your vehicle. A camping fridge freezer this big may not be ideal if you don’t have enough room in your car or if you don’t travel in big groups.
Short DC cable
The 12V DC cable included in the unit is shorter than usual. You might want to consider getting a cord extension to solve this.
Like other compressors, the Waeco brand can be quite noisy while cooling the unit. However, as it automatically stops working after reaching the set temperature, the noise will last for only a few minutes.
Pros and Cons
Purchasing a Dometic Waeco CFX 75DZW does require some serious thought. However, its quality construction, unique features and top-notch cooling performance justify its price. It may not be the best camping fridge for all campers. But if you like spending a week or so on the road, travelling on any season and investing in your overall camping experience, then the CFX 75DZW is an excellent option to consider.